Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Garlic


 
 
I LOVE to cook with fresh garlic. There simply isn't any better way to get that yummy garlic flavor than to use fresh garlic cloves. 9 times out of 10, I always add an extra clove (or 2!) more than what the recipe calls for. I discovered this handy tip of preserving garlic in olive oil and it really does save time in the long run. I usually peel about 2 or 3 bulbs of garlic at a time, this step does take a little time, but in the long run it's a time savor because when you're in a hurry to get dinner on the table, having the garlic cloves already peeled is one small step that makes a big difference. Why olive oil? I don't know! I cook with a lot of olive oil, so I always have it out and handy, the person I originally got the idea from used olive oil, so that's what I did. Plus, as the cloves sit in the oil, it absorbs the garlic flavor...so now you not only have preserved garlic cloves on hand, but you also have garlic infused olive oil!!! Huge money savor if you were going to go out and buy infused olive oil in the store. I think you could use any oil you want, I would pick one that you are most likely to cook with so you can try garlic flavored oil. It's worth it! I peel the bulbs and add them to the jar when I'm running low and I top off the olive oil every so often as I use it. I keep the jar on my kitchen counter with my other oils so it's handy when I need it.
Now, lets talk preparing fresh garlic. I think many people don't bother taking the time to cook with fresh garlic for several reasons, a few I can think of would be: 1, why take the time to mince, slice or dice when you can just buy garlic in the jar already minced? Again, this might just be a personal preference, but I personally just think the flavor is so much better when the garlic is freshly minced. But maybe that's just me?! 2, Mincing, slicing or dicing garlic is kind of a pain and  messy. I will certainly agree with that! (That's why if the garlic is already peeled and waiting for me, that's one less step I have to deal with. Those little paper pieces from the bulbs get everywhere!) But garlic is sticky, and it's hard to mince up one little small clove with a knife...I do it when I have to, but it's a pain. So then, if you don't want to use a knife...try a garlic press or mincer.
Pampered Chef Garlic Press
Pampered Chef makes a nice garlic press, it works well for one clove at a time, it presses the garlic through tiny holes so it's all minced and ready to go and it's easy to clean. I can personally say from experience that it's worth it to pay the extra few dollars for a good quality press than getting a cheap one. You will appreciate it once you start using it.
My husband got me this little gadget for Christmas and it's honestly my favorite way to mince garlic.
 Plastic Garlic & Ginger Press Twist Mincer
It works just as well as mincing by hand or using a garlic press, I don't have to touch the garlic so my fingers don't get all sticky and it's super easy to clean, easier than the press. Plus I can mince 2-4 cloves at a time depending on how big they are as opposed to one at a time with the press.
 
Try a new recipe tonight with fresh garlic...you might be surprised at how yummy it is, and how easy when you prepare ahead. Work smarter not harder right?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment