Monday, March 16, 2015

Pallet Cabinet

This weekend the weather was so warm that I couldn't stay inside. There is something about 60+ degree temps that help get my creative juices flowing and I want to start making stuff!!
I saw this example on Pinterest a couple weeks ago and thought it was so cool and it seemed easy enough. 

Thank you Pinterest for all the wonderful insperations!!
I got two free pallets from work last month and last weekend my friends mom gave me a free old window. 

I was just going to hang the window on my wall (again from ideas on Pinterest) but when I saw that idea to build a cabinet with the window as the door, I knew that's what I was going to do!! This project took me about 6 hours total, the most time consuming and hard work was simple tearing apart the pallets! If anyone has any tips please let me know because that was tough!! But between my husband and I we got it done, thanks for the help honey!!
I also used my husbands brad nailer and that saved a lot of time and energy. 

Here's what it looked like before I put the window on, which I think is cool just the way it is. If I wasn't set on using the window I would have left it as is and used as a book shelf. 

And here's the finished project! I added a simple hook and loop latch on the side to keep the window shut. I didn't paint this because I liked the rustic look of the pallets and the chiped paint from the window. But I do recommend that you sand the window to get any loose paint chips off because depending on how old the window is, it could be lead paint.

I put felt pads on the bottem because we have wood floors and I don't want the rough wood to scratch my floors.
This project cost me about 4 dollars because the only thing I had to actualy purchase was the hinges. Of course my time is worth something but this is like therapy to me so it was so worth it!! I'm excited to get it set up in my home and put things in it. This cabinet is the perfect addition to our home, the rustic appearance will fit right in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment